Sunday 9 March 2014

Tahlia's 21st Portrait

What an absolute joy this painting has been. I was recently commissioned with creating a set of three portraits and was handed a photo of one of the most beautiful faces I've ever seen. How nerve racking! Just check out that bone structure!


This was extremely nerve-racking, to be confronted with the challenge of painting such beautiful face and such a natural smile when every brush stroke is so calculated really had me digging deep.

I also took it upon myself "photoshop" a rather special necklace into the painting. The year earlier, Tahlia was out with friends celebrating her birthday when a drunk driver killed her grandparents. Those same friends rallied alongside her and the family on Tahlia's 21st and gave her this beautiful locket engraved with her Grandparents initials.
I share such a personal detail with you as a reminder to drive your lethal weapon responsibly; nobody should have to lose their loved ones over something so utterly senseless.

I'm using my standard 45x60cm stretched canvas.



You'll notice the background getting darker and darker throughout this series of photos. I wanted a pale background but it just wouldn't work with the "white" icing. 
I totally admit it…I'm making it up as I go. (#how we roll)


I made a pretty solid start on the cake before moving on to the skin tones.


At this stage I realised that Tahlia was looking much heavier and much older than her actual years. Turned out I was a little generous with her jawline and since I don't fancy being murdered in my sleep one night I decline to share the next photo online for the world to see.


This photo however is the almost finished portrait. I would like the break up the colour of the background with a little bit of blue and I think the cake needs so more highlighting, defining brush strokes to finish it off before I call it.


I feel very honoured to have been capable of capturing such a special, bittersweet moment in this family's history and give it those extra touches to help make it all the more special. 
Love you guys! xx



UPDATE:

After brushing some blue onto the background and making some final adjustments to the eyes, I pronounce myself satisfied.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Elizabeth! I can't tell you what this picture means to all of us. That you went to such huge lengths to know the history behind the photo, and the locket. Words can't express how cherished this portrait will be, by all of our family.

    ReplyDelete